Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Visiting those who have passed on...

Sometimes it's good to take a moment to remember those who have passed on...

It was the long weekend just back around the corner... with it being Good Friday & the Chinese "清明节". My family & I took this opportunity to visit two important persons in my life - my grand-mum & my dad.

First, my grand-mum on Thursday with my Mom & most of her family. Since the year she passed away in 2006, I've never been to where her ashes were kept. I mean I was at her funeral wake & went through with her cremation too. But it was the following day when my aunties & uncles went to collect her ashes after the cremation & sent her to her final resting place at some temple, that I was not with her. I guess I must have gone back to school because in my memory, I remembered that my grand-mum passed away during my one of my one-week school term breaks, thus I had the whole week to attend her wake, but had to go back to classes the following Monday.

That being said, this was the first time I went down to visit her. Before that, I always had something on & couldn't make it with the rest of my relatives.

And having see her tablet with her picture, it truly brought back memories as I whispered to her picture, "Ah Ma, 阿汉来看你了." Of course, I'm not going to be that dramatic as those people you see on TV, breaking out into tears & yelling what-not nonsense. I'm just not like that. We spent some time there, gathering as a family & chit chatting, when I found out that my grand-mum's mother was the head of a then cigarette-selling syndicate! Makes me idolize her even more! When it was time to take our leave, I took a final look at her picture before saying good bye. We went off to a nearby coffee shop to have our breakfast & that was the end of it... =P

Next was visiting my dad @ the Garden of Remembrance on Saturday. It was sort of an impromptu visit. Suddenly while I was at home, a call from my brother & sister-in-law came, telling me, "Wanna go visit your dad? Prepare yourself, we coming to pick you up in around 15 minutes time." So just like that, I was picked up, followed by my Mom @ Takashimaya. And we were on our way to Lim Chu Kang, The Garden of Remembrance.

We spent some time tidying up my dad's tablet & changing the flowers for new ones... before we went off to Jurong Point for dinner @ some Japanese restaurant, where I gave everyone a treat...

No comments: