Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Random Tots... I hate these Black Sheep! You're from OCS? Then, please act like one!

I went to Bishan Gym after work, today for my workout. It's a nice feeling to sweat it all out, build up that manly, toned, muscular body I so sought after (hehe =p) and de-stress, all at the same time! And all these for an inexpensive price of S$2.50/-


"Be a Real Man, Get a Six-Pack~!!!"
Leslie! Where is my six-pack!?

Anyway, I was doing my weights workout half-way when I noticed this new guy that was standing beside me. This guy was dressed head-to-toe in OCS clothings, which was why he caught my eye (to all those people out there wondering why I'm noticing other guys...). OCS white shorts and a maroon OCS long sleeve pullover sweater. I've never seen this maroon OCS pullover sweater, which must mean he belongs to my junior batch.

My first thought was "Wah, this guy's scared that people don't know he's an Officer ah?" Personally I have issues with young people who like to wear this kind of outfit out of their army camps. My perception is that these guys are show-offs... who like to show off that they are from OCS, PTI, Guards or Commando etc. I mean I'm also proud that I'm from OCS, that I suffered through months of hardship & training to get commissioned as an Officer of the Singapore Armed Forces, but I don't put on airs or purposely show that I am from OCS in front of people... I prefer to keep this pride within me.

So when I saw this guy all dressed up in OCS, I felt abit put off but I reminded myself that I shouldn't judge people too much on their first impression. =) Having said (thought) that, I went about continuing with the rest of my workout.

Not long after, as I was doing my weights, I noticed the OCS guy again. He was trying to move one of the benches from the back to the front, facing the full-length mirror. Right in the bench's way were some weights lying on the floor. The way he does it was to use his feet to kick the weights away, making some grunting noise while doing so... Next he gave the bench a good push from behind before holding up the other side so that you can now push the bench on its wheels. After he pushed it in front of the mirrors, he fixed the bench into its sitting position, making sure that the locking mechanism hit against the metal of the bench "Cling, clang, cling, clang" before it locked in the correct position. After that was all the cursing & swearing that came out from his mouth, when he noticed that the seat was shaky. He dropped the weights onto the ground, fiddling with the bench, making a lot of noise, trying to fix the seat... Finally he decided to complain to the person-in-charge in his commanding tone, sort of demanding that he reflects this to the higher management.

Ultimately, the whole process where he kicks the weight out of the way, drags the bench, fixing it into the sitting position, making a lot of unneeded noise... That really turned me off.

It also got me thinking to myself. Is this what that is happening to the young Officer Cadets these days? So inconsiderate, so stuck-up, so oblivious to the other users in the gym... dropping weights, blabbering vulgarities in public. The standard & public image they set for themselves when they tell (show) people that they are from OCS...

It's these black sheep that give all of us, Officers a bad name. No wonder most of our Men don't look up to us, thinking of us as "NATO's" (No Action, Talk Only), putting up that rank for show only. Time for some self-reflection, man...

1 comment:

Boonzilla said...

Yeh I agree too! Officers who like to 'dress up' to show off tends to catch my attention. Some officers do have really gd leadership and needless to say, some are not even worthy of 0.000001 bar. Hahaa... Every batch has some. So this brainless guy in the gym might just be one of them. SO... ZISM!~~~