Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Sometimes, don't you just hate yourself..."

MS4523 POLYMER SYNTHESIS QUIZ TWO:
After staying up the whole night studying for the quiz along with my roomie, the moment of truth finally arrives as the clock ticked closer & closer to 9:30am. The lecture notes & tutorials never left our hands even as we made our way slowly to the lecture theater.
~.~.~
As if a curse, once I step foot into the LT, I forgot what I know & what I didn't know... This seems to be a persistent bugbear for all of us, students. The point of saturation. You just can't stuff another chemical structure for Nylon 6,6, another equation governing the rate of propagation or another value for the molecular weight of isoprene, into your brain. Then there comes the point of time, when you want to step into the LT, grab that test paper, & get it over & done with, ending all that misery. I have that impulse all the time...
~.~.~
So the paper is finally in my hands. It's mainly MCQ's. Each question is worth 4 marks. Relatively simple, I must say. Having said that, no doubt that makes me hate myself even more for losing 12 marks worth of points. Two of the questions are because I was thinking too much, or due to the lack of me understanding the question, or due to the poor structuring of the question which makes it very misleading...
~.~.~
It was something about cationic & anionic polymerization, & the charge of the carbon that terminates the living species... Is the charge neutral, negative or positive? There are two questions regarding this, & I totally screwed it up because I was thinking too much, thinking that it might even be a trick question. Haiz... so much for looking in too deep.
LESSON ONE: Just go with your instincts, man. Don't think too much.
~.~.~
I screwed up for the other question too. I didn't really know the answer to that question. But I happened to catch a glimpse at the answer for the question, of my friend who was sitting diagonally infront of me. He circled (B) while I circled (C)... But needless to say, I wasn't confident enough so I changed my answer to (B) too. But thinkng back, I don't know what clouded my judgement then... because I know that options (A) & (B) belong to the same species, thereby leaving (C) as the odd one out. AND I DID CIRCLED (C) AT FIRST ACCORDING TO THE LOGIC OF THIS THINKING. But I had to wavier in my answer & choose the wrong one, when in fact I had the right answer all along. Haiz...
LESSON TWO: No more copying from others. They are in the same league as you. Just because you think you don't know, doesn't mean that the others know...
~.~.~
Why don't you ever learn from your mistakes, Leslie? Two more weeks to the exams... buck up, buck up! No more mistakes... (Damn, these mistakes just have to spoil my day)
~.~.~

No comments: