Friday, July 11, 2008

This is a story about a cup of salty coffee... Yes you heard me alright. A cup of salty coffee... I happened to chance upon this love story while I was watching TV one night. Thought it was pretty interesting, & I wondered if there's anything about it on the internet. And guess what I found... Hmmm... =] Here's how it goes:
~.~.~
"L met her at a party. S was so outstanding, plenty of guys chasing after her, while he was so normal, no one hardly paid any attention to him. At the end of the party, L invited S to have a cup of coffee with him, she was surprised. But due to her being polite, she agreed...
~.~.~
They sat down in a nice cafe, L was too nervous to say anything at all. S felt uncomfortable, she kept thinking to herself... that small voice inside her head kept going, "please, let me go home... please, let me go home..." All of a sudden, L asked the passing waiter: "Would you please get me some salt? I'd like to put it in my coffee."
~.~.~
Everybody turned & stared at him as if he was an alien, including S sitting across the table. Dumbfounded, the waiter passed L the salt. His face was as red as the buttocks of a baboon now. But still he put the salt in his coffee, stirred it a few times & drank it... Curious, S asked him: "Why do you put salt in your coffee? Do you drink your coffee like this all the time?"
~.~.~
L replied: "When I was a little boy, I lived near the sea. I love playing in the sea. I love the taste of the sea, just like the taste of my salty coffee. So now everytime I have a cup of salty coffee, I always think of my childhood, my hometown, the sea. I miss my hometown very much, I miss my parents who are still living there".
~.~.~
While saying all that, tears begin to fill his eyes. S was deeply touched.
~.~.~
That's his true feeling, from the bottom of his heart. A man who can say out his homesickness, he must be a man who loves home, cares about home, has the responsiblity of home...
~.~.~
Then she also started to speak, spoke about her faraway hometown, her childhood, her family. That turned out to be a really nice talk... and a beautiful beginning of their story together.
~.~.~
They continued to date. S eventually found out that L was a man who met all her demands; he had tolerance, was kind hearted, warm & caring. He was such a good person but she almost missed him! But thanks to his salty coffee! Then, the story continued just like every beautiful love story... The princess married the prince, & they lived a happy life together.
~.~.~
And, everytime S made coffee for L, she put some salt in the coffee, as she knew that's the way he liked it.
~.~.~
40 years later on one fateful day, L passed away on his deathbed with S by his side till the very last moment. Days later, S discovered a letter written by L. It read: "My dearest, will you ever forgive me, forgive my lie of a life-time. This was the only lie I've ever said to you... about the salty coffee. Remember the first time we dated? In the cafe? I was so nervous at that time. I wanted some suger actually, but I blurted out salt instead. It was too late for me to change it, so I just went ahead with the mistake. I never would have thought that could be the start of our communication!
~.~.~
I tried to tell you the truth many times later, but I was too afraid to do so, as I have promised not to lie to you for anything... But now as I'm dying, I'm afraid of nothing so I have to tell you the truth: I don't like salty coffee, what a strange & bad taste it has...
~.~.~
But I have had salty coffee for my whole life! Since I knew you, I've never felt sorry for anything I've done for you. Having you with me is the biggest happiness in my whole life. If I can live for the second time, I would still want to know you & have you with me for the rest of my life, even if I have to drink the salty coffee again".
~.~.~
Her tears made the letter totally wet, by the time S finished reading the content.
~.~.~
One day, someone asked her... What's the taste of salty coffee?
~.~.~
It's sweet. She replied. "
~.~.~
Love is not to forget, but to forgive...
~.~.~
Love is not to see, but to understand...
~.~.~
Love is not to hear, but to listen...
~.~.~
Love is not to let go, but to hold on...
~.~.~
~~~ Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss & ends with a tear ~~~
~.~.~

No comments: