Thursday, August 28, 2008

Did you know... XOXO means "Hugs and Kisses" or "Loves and Kisses", typically used to express affection or good friendship at the end of a written letter or email? I didn't know too.. till Charmaine told me about it. And laughed at me for not knowing... diaoz. haha.
~.~.~
Some say the X represents the four lips of a kiss, and the O ther four arms of a hug. Oxford English Dictionary states that X is "used to represent a kiss, esp. in the subscription to a letter". Another intrepretation assumes X as the crossed arms of a hug, and O as the puckered lips of a kiss. Also, it can be said that the X's are the arms crossing during a hug, and the O's are the circular shape that two people make when kissing. In addition, there is another intrepretation, based on the pronounciation of the letter X sounding like "kiss" & O sounding like "hold", as in "I hold you".
~.~.~
The use of "XOXO" goes back to the use of an X or cross, which was considered as good as a sworn oath in times when most people could write and therefore used the X in the same way a signature is used today - a mark of one's word. An X at the end of a letter or document was often kissed with a seal of honesty, in much the same way one would kiss the Bible or kiss the fingers after making the sign of the Christian cross. Thus the X came to represent the kiss in modern times. The origins of the O as a hug however, are not so generally known. But they are speculated that it may represent the arms wrapped around someone being hugged.
~.~.~
Quite cool... this interesting fact. Hmph...
~.~.~
I thought I almost lost U that night. Did you know how scared I was to think of U leaving me forever? Not being able to hold your warm, lovely hands, smell your soothing, fragrant hair, hear your silly, cheerful laughters or simply not seeing U, ever again. Please, girl... Never ever doubt yourself again. Never doubt the position U have in my heart. Never~ For U are the One for me now... today, tomorrow, the day after, next week, next month, next year, the rest of my life~

No comments: